The Olympic Games and the Media Online Course
Friday, July 31, 2015
This course analyses the intersection between the Olympic Games and the media and how television and other media contribute to fund, shape and disseminate the major sporting spectacle in the world: the Olympic Games.
Course at a Glance
5 weeks of study
About the Course
This course allows students to explore the universe of media and their role in the construction of the Olympic Games, the greatest sporting event worldwide. After providing a general context regarding what the modern Olympic Games represent for our culture and what are the main constituents of the so called Olympic Movement, the course focuses on media as funders of the Olympics, disseminators of their values system and creators of the global image of the Games. More specifically, we will deepen into:
- The history of media and the Olympic Games
- The television rights and sponsorship programs
- How the media operate during the Olympics
- The television production of the Olympic Games and their worldwide audiences
- The opening and closing ceremonies and the symbols and rituals of the Games
- The management of new media and social networking websites such as Facebook and Twitter by the Olympic Family.
- You will learn the mechanisms and expressive languages used by television in the production and broadcasting of the Olympics.
- Students will gain knowledge about the structure and funding methods and sponsorship programs of the Olympics.
- You will know the nature and management of communication on new media and social networking.
- Students will learn which is the cultural context of the Olympic Games and their symbols and rituals
The course will be delivered in English with subtitles in English and Spanish.
The Olympic Games and the Media is a teaching project promoted by the Olympic Studies Centre at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, a university centre aimed at research, educate and disseminate knowledge on the Olympic and sporting phenomenon. The course team includes:
- Emilio Fernandez Peña. Instructor.
- José Manuel Pardo Gila. Teacher assistant.
- Xavier Ramón. Teacher assistant.
- Berta Cerezuela. Manager.
- Mauricio Javier Cordova. Marketing
- Tassos Katsiadramis. Marketing
- Miguel Ángel Martín. Video script.
- Raul Gutiérrez García. Camcorder operator and edition.
- Joel Santaeulària Boquet. Camcorder Operator